Here you will find lots of useful documents which you can use to help develop your fire safety.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 - This is the main piece of legislation in England and Wales. If you own, manage or operate a business, you will need to make sure you comply with fire safety laws.
- Guidance Documents - The Department for Communities and Local Government in the Home Office has produced a set of guidance documents with further guidance on completing a fire risk assessment, broken down by premises types.
- Short Guide to Making Your Premises Safe From Fire (.pdf, 16 pages) - This guide provides simple and practical advice to people responsible for fire safety in small and medium-sized businesses on how to comply with the Fire Safety Order.
- Do You Have Paying Guests? - This guide is for those letting out accommodation in the form of a holiday home or Airbnb. It will help you understand the fire precautions needed.
- Specialised Housing Guide (.pdf, 342 pages) - The National Fire Chief's Council has produced this guide for various forms of sheltered housing, extra care housing, and also supported housing for people with common characteristics such as learning disabilities and mental health problems.
- LACoRS (.pdf, 82 pages) - This is guidance created by a national body for fire safety in residential accommodation, including single dwellings, shared houses, bedsits, flats, and flats which are in multiple occupation.
- Fire safety in purpose-built flats (.pdf, 193 pages) - If you need information about requirements for purpose-built dwellings such as blocks of flats, the Local Government Association (LGA) has provided useful information in this downloadable publication.
- Building safety advice for building owners - Government advice for building owners of multi-story, multi-occupied residential buildings.
- Recommendations to responsible persons (.pdf, 7 pages, 482Kb) - If you own, manage or operate a tall building, please see our recommendations following the Grenfell Tower Investigation.
Takeaways, fast food outlets, and similar premises
- Takeaways Premises Guidance (.pdf, 14 pages, 923Kb) - This document is specific to Takeaways, Fast Food Outlets and similar premises. It contains useful information on how to protect people from fire and some guidance questions to help you fill in your Fire Risk Assessment.
Rural fire safety
- Rural Safety Information Booklet (.pdf, 80 pages, 38.9Mb) - If you own or manage a farm you may find this booklet helpful. It has lots of information about keeping your premises and outlying land safe, along with useful sheets to keep important contact details in one easy-to-reach location.
- Means of Escape for Disabled People (Opens in a new window) - Guidance about completing a fire safety risk assessment for people responsible for providing means of escape for disabled people.