Based on Boundary Road, Newark Fire Station is part of the Service's North Group and serves the Newark and Sherwood District.
The original station was opened on 19 July 1969 and prior to this was based at the purpose built Portland Street Fire Station – which was erected in 1889. The earliest reference we have to a public fire service in Newark, however, dates from 1837 when the town council minutes record expenditures for maintaining two fire engines kept in the parish church.
The new station was opened on 5 September 2018 by the Lord Lieutenant for Nottinghamshire, Sir John Peace. The building includes several energy-saving features, including intelligent lighting and solar panels fitted to the roof.
The station is staffed by four Wholetime Duty System (WDS) Watches and a Retained Duty System (RDS) Crew. Each of the Wholetime Duty System Watches comprises of one Watch Manager, two Crew Managers and seven Firefighters. Newark's Retained Crew comprises of one Watch Manager, two Crew Managers and sixteen Firefighters.
The WDS Watches crew one standard fire engine and provide fire cover twenty four hours a day, every day throughout the year. They also crew one of the Service's Technical Rescue Units which is deployed across the breadth of the county to incidents such as animal rescues, machinery entrapments, rope rescues, transportation incidents, flood evacuations and water rescues. The staff at Newark are given extra training in dealing with these specialist incidents.
The RDS Crew provide 'on-call' cover and staff Newark's second fire engine. They attend the station every Thursday evening for their 'drill' night where they carry out training and development activities.
When not responding to incidents the crews carry out regular training, equipment testing and home safety check visits. They also do a lot of fire prevention work and attend community events where possible.