Crews spend 598 hours fighting deliberate fires

29/05/2020

Firefighters in Nottinghamshire have spent a total of 598 hours so far this year fighting fires that have been started deliberately.  

In the past month alone, crews across the county have attended 170 secondary fires, with a marked increase in incidents being seen in both Newark and Sherwood and Mansfield.

On 22 May 20,000 sqm of undergrowth was set alight in Oak Tree Heath Nature Reserve, Mansfield.

Four fire engines attended the deliberate fire at around 14:10 which took four hours to extinguish meaning they were not available to be mobilised to other potential incidents in the area.

Crews from Edwinstowe and Tuxford attended several trees on fire with grass and undergrowth on 27 May at 23:50 in Ollerton Pit Woods, this is one out of 18 fires that Edwinstowe have attended just this month.

The deliberate fire setting doesn’t stop there; recently there have been many incidents in Harworth with fly-tipping being set alight.

Deliberate fires on average cost the Service approximately £300 per call out to an incident. From January to May 2020 in Harworth this would have cost the Service approximately £5100.

NFRS are asking people to report if you see someone deliberately setting fire to something, dial 999 and ask for the fire service. To report suspicious behaviour or if you have information about a crime, call 101 or Crimestoppers.

The Service also attended a fire on 23 May at 11:18 caused by a disposable BBQ not being extinguished properly. Crews from Ashfield Fire Station attended 10sqm of grass and undergrowth alight following a BBQ that wasn’t put out appropriately.

District Prevention Manager Paul Gair said: “As the weather continues to get warmer, and people are starting to go out and about in their local area a bit more freely, we ask you to remain vigilant and cautious when out in the local parks or countryside.

“Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service has a zero tolerance approach to deliberate fires as it puts the community at risk.

“We are working closely with the Police and partners to reduce the deliberate fires within Nottinghamshire. We ask you all to be vigilant when out on walks and to report any deliberate fire setting to the police through 101.”

Chief Inspector Elizabeth Rogers, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Starting deliberate fires risks lives - those of the individuals involved, our communities and our colleagues. This is so completely unacceptable and takes vital resources away from real emergencies.

“We will continue to work with our colleagues in the fire service to tackle this issue and will take robust action against anyone found to be involved. We also work jointly with Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service on education and diverting people away from such pointless and harmful acts.

“If you do see anything suspicious while out and about, please report it to us on 101.”

© Copyright Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service
Accessibility Statement