The Queen's Platinum Jubilee beacons
On 2 June 2022, beacons will be lit across the country to celebrate Her Majesty The Queen’s 70th year as our Monarch and Head of the Commonwealth - her Platinum Jubilee.
More than 1,500 beacons will be lit throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and UK Overseas Territories, and one in each of the capital cities of Commonwealth countries in recognition of The Queen’s long and selfless service.
The beacons will enable local communities, individuals and organisations to pay tribute to her as part of the official Platinum Jubilee Weekend celebrations from 2 to 5 June 2022.
There is a Platinum Jubilee website (Opens in a new window) that outlines everything you may need to know regarding the celebrations, including an excellent section on the different types of beacons and how to stay safe from fire.
There are different types of beacons referred to in the guide, but the safety messages remain the same:
- Know what you're are burning - source timber from a reputable source
- Do not overload the beacon
- Do not use flammable/ignitable liquids
- Use kindling and firelighters
- Have a safety cordon in place
- Consider wind direction
- Have the beacon under supervision throughout the burn and cool down
- Have fire aid arrangements in place