Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service is committed to providing services for all the people of Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
As an employer, we are dedicated to promoting equality and valuing the diversity within our workforce and within the communities we serve. Our goal is to ensure that these commitments, supported by our values (new link to new values on Vision and Values page), are carried out with all members of the public, colleagues and partners.
Under the Equality Act 2010, Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service has a legal duty to promote equality. The legislation covers the following areas: age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race religion/belief, sex and sexual orientation.
We therefore aim to make sure our services are appropriate for all users and staff, and help to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Advance equality of opportunity between different groups.
- Foster good relations between different groups of people.
- Recruit a workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
- Improve services to the public by promoting equality.
We do this by…
- Providing a tailored service for people with different needs
- Communicating its comittment to LGBT equality through its workforce and service delivery through supporting events such as Pride and Internatioanl Day against Homophobia and Transphobia
- Providing BSL interpretation on request for the Services we provide
- Providing smoke alarms for deaf and hearing impaired people
- Making sure our buildings are accessible to disabled people.
- Making reasonable adjustments for disabled staff and service users.
- Procuring goods and services in way which reflects our values and aims.
- Promoting a working environment based on dignity and respect.
- Delivering different learning and development opportunities for staff and their managers.
- Consulting with staff and communities.
- Developing policy by assessing its impact on different groups of people.
- Making staff and managers aware of their statutory responsibilities.
- Reporting on progress against organisational objectives and local performance.
- Coordinating and supporting equality networks such as:
- Employee Engagement Network
- EMERGE & PROUD Friends
- Equalities Steering Group