Frequently Asked Questions

What is a risk assessment?

A fire risk assessment is an organised and methodical look at your premises, the activities carried out there and the likelihood that a fire could start and cause harm to those in and around the premises. This must be carried out by the responsible person or a competent person appointed to undertake a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment of the risks of fire to their employees and others who may be affected by their work or business.

Do you offer any training or workshops to help me?

Yes, we offer free workshops to assist you carrying out your own risk assessment where appropriate.

Contact us to arrange your place.

I'm building or changing use of my premises, what legislation applies?

It is likely that building regulations will apply and you should contact a building control body, such as your local authority Building Control department, in the first instance. More information is available here.

Are pesticides or fertilisers monitored?

The Chief Fire Officers' Association (CFOA) and the British Agrochemical Standards Inspection Scheme (BASIS) have joint working arrangements in place which give fire and rescue authorities the opportunity to gather risk-based information. This (BASIS pdf ) is based upon these arrangements and is designed to help us inspect BASIS-registered premises.

How do I know I'm being treated fairly?

As a regulatory fire authority we are governed by the Better Regulation Delivery Office (BRDO), which is a Central Government department.  The BRDO ensures that we follow Regulators Code 2014.  Further information on the Regulators Code is available here.

What is a Primary Authority?

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service can provide a partnership arrangement with businesses to provide advice across geographic boundaries of other fire and rescue service. The Primary Authority Register has more information or contact our support team to discuss this further.

Where do I find information regarding other legislative regulations?

 You can find regulation information for the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire area on the D2N2 growth hub.  Their website is available by following here.

I have concerns at home or for a neighbour, what can I do?

The Fire Protection team deals with Fire Safety in commercial premises but we have specialist teams that deal with fire safety in the home. Please see the ' Your Safety ' pages for further advice and information.

I have some concerns with fire safety in my workplace, who can I contact?

You can refer your concerns, anonymously if you prefer, to one of our geographic teams who will follow up as appropriate.

If you have a general concern, please contact us.  Your details will not be revealed to anybody and are treated in the strictest confidence.

What kind of fire alarm do I need?

This depends on the size and use of the premises in question.  An alarm can range from somebody shouting "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE", to a fully automated system with vocal instructions.  For further details please follow the link.

Do I need a licence?

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service does not issue licenses.  We are a statuary agency who is referred to for some applications and we can make recommendations prior to a license issue.  For further information please follow the link.

How many fire extinguishers do I need?

This depends on the size, use and number of floors within the building.  You need to take into consideration the location of extinguishers, types and use.  For further information please follow the link.

How many people are allowed into a room?

This depends on the size of the room and how many exits there are.  For further information please follow the link.

What are my responsibilities?

If you are identified as the Responsible Person for a business you are responsible for anybody who is relevant to premises. For further details please follow this link.

Is there any guidance available?

There are a number of publications relating to a specific premises' use which you may find useful.  They can be downloaded here, or you can purchase a copy from a good book shop or online.

How do I make my premises safe from fire?

In the first instance you need to carry out a comprehensive Fire Risk Assessment, or employ a competent Fire Risk Assessor to do this for you.  Ensure any actions identified within the fire risk assessment are followed up.

Which staff do I need to train?

All staff need to have some form of fire training as soon as possible upon joining the business.  You may give some staff members additional responsibilities in case of fire.  Please see the Fire Safety Risk Assessment publication relevant to your business for further details.


Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any concerns or would like further advice and help.

© Copyright Nottingamshire Fire & Rescue Service