Frequently Asked Questions


Fire Risk Assessments

Fire Safety Equipment 

Other Help and Advice

For COVID-19 advice, please see the COVID-19 guidance webpage.


Do I need a Fire Safety Certificate?

No, Fire safety certificates used to be issued by the Fire Service prior to the Fire Safety Order.  You will not be issued with a Fire Safety Certificate following an inspection by one of our officers.  If you have a Fire Safety Certificate which was issued by the Fire Service it will no longer be valid.

What is the fire safety legislation?

The Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order was implemented in 2005.  It gives anybody who has control over a premises responsibility for fire safety within their premises.  This means that you could be held legally liable for fire safety provisions within your premises.

Do I need to include fire safety in my financial plans for my business?

You may think that the cost of compliance is daunting, but compared to the cost of shutting your business down, even temporarily, it makes sense to be prepared. Also, there may be cost effective ways of reducing the financial burdens by getting appropriate advice early. 

What is a Responsible Person?

If you are identified as a Responsible Person (Opens in a new window) for a business you are responsible for the safety of anybody who is legally entitled to be in or around the premises in the event of a fire.

As a Responsible Person, what do I need to do?

In the first instance you need to carry out a comprehensive Fire Risk Assessment, or employ a competent Fire Risk Assessor (Opens in a new window) to do this for you.  Ensure any actions identified within the fire risk assessment are followed up.

I'm building or changing use of my premises, which legislation applies?

It is likely that building regulations will apply and you should contact a building control body, such as your local authority Building Control department, in the first instance. More information on Building Regulations is available online (Opens in a new window).

Fire Risk Assessments

What is a Fire Risk Assessment?

A Fire Risk Assessment is an organised and methodical look at your premises, the activities carried out there and the likelihood that a fire could start and cause harm to those in and around the premises. This must be carried out by the Responsible Person or a competent person appointed to undertake a suitable and sufficient assessment of the risks of fire to their employees and others who may be affected by their work or business. Please feel free to use our Fire Risk Assessment Template (PDF. 307 KB. 14 pages).

Do you offer any training or workshops to help me?

Yes, we offer free workshops to assist you carrying out your own Fire Risk Assessment where appropriate. Contact us to arrange your place.

Is there any guidance available?

There are a number of publications from the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) relating to a specific premises' use which you may find useful. The DCLG Guides can be downloaded from the government website (PDF), or you can purchase a copy from a good book shop or online.

Do I need to train anybody?

All staff need to have some form of fire training as soon as possible upon joining the business. You may give some staff members additional responsibilities in case of fire. The Government website (Opens in a new window) has further guidance on this.

How many people are allowed into a room?

This depends on the size of the room and how many exits there are. For more information, please see our room occupancy guidance document (PDF. 136 KB. 3 pages).


Fire Safety Equipment

Do I need a fire alarm?

This depends on the size and use of the premises in question. An alarm can range from somebody shouting "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE", to a fully automated system with vocal instructions. If this is not already specified in your Fire Risk Assessment, use the DCLG Guides (Opens in a new widow) for your particular premises to help you work out what is most appropriate for you.

How many fire extinguishers do I need?

This depends on the size, use and number of floors within the building. You need to take into consideration the location of extinguishers, types and use. Your Fire Risk Assessment will determine the best placement using the DCLG guidance documents (Opens in  a new window).


Fire Safety Concerns

I have some concerns with fire safety in my workplace, who can I contact?

If you have any general fire safety concerns for a business, please see our Report A Concern page. Your details will not be revealed to anybody and are treated in the strictest confidence.

I have concerns at home or for a neighbour, what can I do?

The Fire Protection team deals with Fire Safety in commercial premises but we have specialist teams that deal with fire safety in the home. Please see the 'Your Safety' pages for further advice and information.

If I have a fire how can I keep my business going?

You should have a comprehensive Business Continuity Plan in place to cover a fire along with other major events. There is a lot of information and advice available on the BCI's website (Opens in a new window) regarding planning for an emergency.

Other Help and advice

Do I need a license?

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service does not issue licenses. We are a statutory agency which is referred to for some applications and we can make recommendations prior to a license issue. To find out further information about licenses, contact your local council.

What is a Primary Authority?

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service can provide a partnership arrangement with businesses to provide advice across geographic boundaries of other fire and rescue service. The BEIS Primary Authority Register (Opens in a new window) has more information or see ourPrimary Authority page to find out more.

Where do I find information regarding other legislative regulations?

You can find regulation information for the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire area on the D2N2 Better Business Regulations site (Opens in a new window). 

Are pesticides or fertilisers monitored?

The National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) and the British Agrochemical Standards Inspection Scheme (BASIS) have joint working arrangements in place which give fire and rescue authorities the opportunity to gather risk-based information. Their guidance on BASIS (PDF. 167KB. 11 pages) is based upon these arrangements and is designed to help us inspect BASIS-registered premises.

How do I know I'm being treated fairly?

As a regulatory fire authority we must meet the requirements of the Regulators Code. The Government's Office for Product Safety and Standards supports its effective implementation. The Regulators Code (Opens in a new window)  is available online.

I've got another question that isn't answered here. Who can I ask?

Please see our contact us page to speak to a member of the Business Support Team, or contact details for your local Fire Protection team.

Download Adobe PDF Reader (opens in a new window)

© Copyright Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service
Accessibility Statement
Modern Slavery Statement

You can use the translation service powered by Microsoft Azure to translate NFRS pages into a variety of other languages.
Please note: Translations cannot be guaranteed as exact and may include incorrect or inappropriate language. We cannot control the quality or accuracy of Azure or any other internet-based translation service provider.